- All Australian players are either injured or out of form, or both
- Mitchell Johnson is an unknown quantity
- All batsman, save Hussey, had a poor run in the most recent round of Sheffield Shield cup
- Australia lost 3 tests on a trot, one to Pakistan, two to India
- England have beaten Pakistan in the test series played on the same land
- Local profile too low after series defeats at home in T20 and ODIs to SL, effectively saying bench strength is too weak to be tried for the longer format
- Hauritz, backed by Ponting, failed to impress in the best conditions possible (India). Doherty gets a look in, Steven Smith, the most hopeful gets relieved.
- Staying with Ponting, no one knows how long he will be the leader of the pack
- Speaking of leader-of-the-pack, there is enough rumour for the press to trouble the Aussie all throughout the series for things as simple as "Why did Ponting not give hi-5 to Clarke when Clarke caught the ball"... Surely, the press don't understand that Clarke is hygienic and doesn't like physical contact with someone who has been spitting in his hands all day long!
- John Buchanan is helping England
- Monty Panesar has taken a diving, right handed catch in a practice game
- Swann plays for England
- Glenn McGrath hasn't predicted anything yet... oh God, he is confused!
- It is raining at the Gabba, making the situation more Manchester-esque than Brisbane-y
Jimmy Andersen is recovering from the boxing bout injury... Michael Clarke passes the first physical test... But, more than recovery, it is about who will cover whom when nothing goes fine :-P .
"Aussie Aussie Aussie" vs "Barmy Army"... let the fight for the Ashes begin!
(if you like this post, you might also like this )